According to the navigation rules and experts the Traffic density is the most important factor in determining a safe vessel speed on any given day.
Along with it, the ability to maneuver the vessel, background light at night, draft of vessel, limitations of radar proximity of navigational hazard and state of wind are also the most important factors in determining a safe vessel speed on the given day.
What is the safe speed and how to determine your safe speed?
Safe speed is a speed on which operator have enough time and power to take action to avoid any kind of collision.
There are a number of factors that should be considered to maintain the safe speed while boating.
- The condition of whether, visibility.
- If there are high waves, heavy winds or fast currents
- Vessels type that are sharing the water and its proximity.
- Vessel responsiveness
- If there are any navigational hazards in the area
- Consider the accurateness of radar to make sure whether the device is detecting small ice, small vessels area and other floating objects or not.